2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
¾ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
1 cup olive oil, extra virgin
2 cups carrot, grated
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
500 grams cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons lemon juice
100 grams butter (4 ½ tablespoons) room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a muffin tin with 9 paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, olive oil and grated carrot.
- Sieve the spelt flour, spices and baking powder into the bowl. Add the brown sugar and stir until the batter is well combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to evenly distribute the batter among the 9 cupcake papers.
- Place into the oven and bake for 28 minutes. Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese frosting add the cream cheese, butter, lemon juice and maple syrup to a large bowl and beat with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe frosting onto the top of each cupcake.