This article is written in conjunction with Supermom.
The moment we knew we were expecting, we started to make sure that our tiny developing foetus would be given the best for their healthy development. Reading up from various sources, we knew that essential nutrients for foetal development are folic acid, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), iron, zinc, calcium, proteins and other vitamins and minerals. As a mother with the responsibility to sustain a healthy pregnancy, for both myself and my growing baby, I knew that dietary changes are required to ensure that I have a balanced diet meeting all the requirements for the essential nutrients.
We closely followed the advice of our gynae who prescribed pre-natal vitamins (folic acid, iron, fish oil, milk calcium) at various stages of the pregnancy. He also encouraged me to drink pregnancy formula milk, which is richly supplied with outstanding nutrients that are helpful for growth of foetus and health of pregnant mothers, to supplement my relatively balanced diet.
With a wide range of pregnancy and maternal milk available in the market, we managed to try samples from different brands, before we decided on the one that suits our taste while providing us with all the essential nutrients needed at various stages of our pregnancy.
“Made in Australia with 100% grass-fed cow’s milk, Nature One Dairy Pregnancy Formula contains no artificial sugar and preservatives for the benefits of you and your baby’s health.”
Nature One Dairy Pregnancy Formula, an essential nutritional care for mothers-to-be and lactating mothers, is specially formulated to provide both pregnant mummies and their developing babies a good source of proteins and contains premium nutrients such as DHA, Folic Acid, Iron, Zinc, and Calcium.
(1) Folic acid (or Folate) is the pregnancy super-nutrient or B-9 vitamin that is essential throughout the nine months of pregnancy. As early as when you are trying to conceive, it is crucial to load up on an adequate supply of folic acid, which helps to prevent neural tube defects (NTDs) – serious birth defects of the spinal cord and the brain.
(2) Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body, with 99% of it stored in the bones and teeth and less than 1% in the muscles. The growing foetal body absorbs calcium from the maternal bones to meet the requirements for the development of the baby’s bones and teeth. Calcium also aids in blood clotting, sending nerve signals, muscle contractions, hormone release and heartbeat regulation hence adequate calcium is especially important from Week 4 and throughout the entire pregnancy of the mothers.
(3) DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is one of the key omega-3 fatty acids found throughout the body, mainly in the brain and eyes. Important for optimal visual and mental development of the foetus and newborn infant, it is an excellent time to bulk up on DHA around week 8, when the baby’s eye structure is becoming more complex, and the retina is beginning to form. Increase in DHA intake during third trimester improves infant development outcomes such as eye-hand coordination, motor skills and nervous system development.
(4) Zinc is an essential trace element as only very small amounts of it are necessary for human health. It is important for cell division, cell growth, and tissue development during Week 16 of the pregnancy, helping the unborn baby’s cells to grow and replicate, as well as build up the baby’s growing immune system.
(5) Iron is part of the protein haemoglobin, found in red blood cells, which helps carry oxygen through the body. Iron is particularly important in second and third trimesters, for oxygen supply and subsequent energy production required to fuel growth, important for bone formation. Iron also plays an essential role in the baby’s growth, brain development, cell functioning, and the creation of hormones and connective tissues.
Containing all the essential nutrients in one tin, Nature One Dairy Pregnancy Formula is retailing at $27.50 per 900g tin.
Now that we are certain Nature One Dairy Pregnancy Formula provides all the needed nutrients for our body during the different stages of pregnancy, why not have a try on the taste? Nature One Dairy provides FREE sample sachets for their products if you are residing in Singapore. To request for samples, you may submit your details via the “FREE SAMPLE“ page.